Friday 20 November 2015

'Baby Your a Firework!'


Hi Everyone
I am so thrilled to have been invited back again this month as A Guest designer over at A Vintage Journey. It really is so wonderful to be given these opportunities to feature on such a fabulous blog and I can't thank all the lovely  AVJ Creative Guides enough.  
Am I confusing you ? I can here you saying now 'Guest design spot but I thought she was one of the new Creative Guides at AVJ?' and you wouldn't be wrong  to think that  but this feature itoday is one I was invited to do after being chosen as a pinworthy winner for Septembers Challenge 'Home Sweet Home' .  I can assure you that you are definitely confused and after today all my posts for AVJ will indeed be as a New Creative Guide and believe you me I am thrilled to bits to have been given such an amazing opportunity to work alongside a super talented and friendly design team.  I am indeed one very lucky lady! 

Its Nikkis challenge theme this month and she can be found not only at AVJ but also here Nikki is a very talented lady so be sure to check out her wonderful work . Nikki has chosen the theme Baby your a Firework' and here's what she has to say :
'Fireworks are a big part of celebrations at this time of the year. Be inspired by them to create a Tim      style project; think Distress Glitter, bold colours, ink and paint splats and fun. Go on, light up that night sky.'

Well, what a challenge it has been for me as I am a self confessed 'Don't do Glitter' and 'Hardly ever do Sparkle' kind of girl! 
My creative mind was certainly put to task and as always once one idea came, plenty more followed but  in the end I settled on creating something that would include a few things I love – wall art, the night sky and silhouette imagery
So lets get started:


My finished piece would be mounted in a circular wooden frame so I began by cutting a circle of card to fit the frame. I then added colour to the card using Tim's Wrinkle Free Distress technique and several colours of Distress Inks( Broken China, Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire , Wilted Violet, Hickory Smoke)

Once dry I used Tims Spritz and Flick' technique before adding more colour using Distress inks (Stormy Sky, Wilted Violet, Chipped Sapphire and Black Soot) and a blending tool.

I also added some stamping to the background using one of Tim's splatter stamp (this can be seen on later photos- sorry I forgot to take a photo at this stage . I guess I must have been getting a little edgy  about the pending glitter activity......
.....Now for the glitter and sparkle! Eek!  
The fireworks (A Crealies Acrylic Stamp I found hidden away in my stash) are stamped with VersaMark and heat embossed using Silver Tinsel embossing powder. (Despite using it in a controlled environment - plenty of newspaper down, a tidy tray -it still Insisted on going everywhere !!)  
 I mixed Pearlescent Mica powder with water, picked up the paint with a brush and flicked it randomly onto the card before spritzing with Perfect Pearls. Touches of cosmic shimmer (Aqua Twinkles)  provide the golden touches of sparkle to the night sky.

The silhouette images are created using Ranger Texture Paste, Black Soot Distress Paint and the fabulous Andy Skinner stencil 'Children'.  I do love this stencil and though I have had it for a while now this is its first outing!
 The frame is painted using Black Soot Distress Paint and crackled using Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint. With the frame being so narrow it did prove a little tricky to apply the crackle and as its dried it  reminds me a little of crocodile skinOnce dry I rubbed over the crackle very lightly with Weathered Wood Distress Paint and caught the outer edges with Pewter and Gold Gilding Wax .

I adhered the circle of card and the frame in place and added a few finishing touches - white highlights to the silhouettes using a white sakura pen, a chit chat sticker quote 'Remember the Now' and a hex nut to embellish the frame .
And here is my take on 
'Baby your a firework! '

I hope you can get a sense of how much this piece of wall art really does glisten and sparkle (It was tricky to capture when taking photos despite trying in various lights and at different times of the day)
I guess now I can no longer say I'm a 'Don't do Glitter' and 'Hardly ever do Sparkle' kind of girl can I? 

Thank you all for stopping by today and my very appreciated thanks goes to all the lovely AVJ ladies for inviting me to share my creativity with you all today and for making me feel so welcome, not just today but over the last few months when I have featured as a Guest designer. I have enjoyed every single minute
I would like to enter this into the following challenges : 
Country View Crafts- November Challenge - Blue 
Craft Stamper TIMI Challenge - November - 'Take a Stamp'  
Stamps and Stencils- November Challenge - 'Remember, Remember '  
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #18- Texture  

Mixed Media World - MMW#9 'Anything Goes'
Frilly and Funkie Challenge - 'Altered State'  ( the frame was only £1)
Hope to see you all again soon both here and over at A VIntage Journey
but in the meantime be sure to ALWAYS 
'Remember the Now!'

Take care 
Amanda xx

23 comments:

  1. Amanda congrats on your new role as a creative guide! No surprise here that you were selected! Love your beautiful sky with the fireworks. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic interpretation of the theme Amanda. I adore your night sky and you used sparkle perfectly. I love the background colours and using the silhouette imagery is perfect. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA - bet you were curding that glitter for days :) x FABULOUS creation as always have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amanda, this is just stunning!! I love the way you did your fireworks, the silver just pops against the dark background! Congrats on your guest spot, they know talent when they see it! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stunning project Amanda!!! The background looks amazing and wow, I so love how you used that Andy stencil!! The frame looks super too! You should do sparkle and glitter more often lol, you do it jolly well imho...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww this is so super duper Amanda! You've captured the whole atmosphere of fireworks in such stunning wonderful detail. Congrats also :)
    Wishing you a lovely weekend. Poppy and I send lots of gentle hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really is something special

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, that is amazing! The adorable children silhouetted against the night sky bursting with sparkly fireworks is so wonderful, I'd say that you do glitter and sparkles very, very well! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and congrats on your guest DT post (and of course huge congratulations on being chosen as one of the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey!!) Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genuinely STUNNING!!! I am utterly blown away by the beauty of this Amanda. That incredible sky, the kids looking up in wonder, it all screams Bonfire Night to me and perfectly captures the whole theme of this month's challenge. Is it any wonder you were asked to become a Creative Guide!!! Love ya. Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A truly stunning piece of art Amanda, the night sky that you created is utterly gorgeous and the silhouettes work so well against that magnificent sky - the fireworks are beyond gorgeous (from another I don't really do glitter girl too), very cleverly done and a fantastic result. So pleased that you are now a CG over at AVJ too!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning artwork. Love your beautiful sky with the fireworks. Congrats on your guest spot too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are certainly deserving of the role of Creative Guide, Amanda. I have followed your work for some time now and you are so very generous in your willingness to share what you know and to encourage the rest of us! Your piece today is gorgeous! That "spritz'n'flick" technique adds a world of interest to background and this one is no exception! Brilliant work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning Amanda, fantastic techniques, love love love.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got seriously artistic talent Amanda. Loved reading to learn how this evolved. Truly stunning!!! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this creation very much Amanda... Especially since you use (and so well) this wonderful children stencil I adore too.
    Great work as guest DT for a Vintage Journey, you rock everywhere my dear amanda, huge congrats!!!!
    Hugs, Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Firstly congrats on being a creative guide...well deserved and wow what a fantastic piece! Love the distressed background and the imagery and texture is wonderful. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

  17. ... beautiful creation !
    Thanks for joining us in the Craft Stamper Challenge!

    xxx Ellie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing! The background is a masterpiece, looks like a real night sky. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just dropped back in to say thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Altered State' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Amanda, I commented earlier already, but only just realized I should have thanked you for adding it to our Texture challenge at Mixed Media Monthly, - it really is a super project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe I did not come over here and leave you a comment when this was posted!??! I love the children silhouetted against the wonderful fireworks - what a great design! and Welcome to the team!!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did I miss this?! I saw it over at AVJ of course - a glorious take on the theme, and I love how you've used the Andy Skinner children. Lovely, and lovely to chat the other evening too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .